To whom it may concern: I refer to the message below and wish to draw your attention.
I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition that I recently signed:
"Malaysians Overseas - Right to Vote"
I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes just a few seconds of your time.
The following info maybe of interest (adapted from the Facebook page):
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/MyOverseasVote
- Website: http://www.myoverseasvote.org
• Over 1 million Malaysians are estimated to work outside Malaysia. Of this, roughly 40% work in Singapore and 20% in other Asian countries.
• There are 11 million registered voters in Malaysia, out of a potential electorate of 15 million.
• Under the Election (Registration of Electors) Regulations 2002, only members of the Armed Forces, public servants, students and their spouses living overseas are eligible to register and vote as absent voters.
• Our legal advice is that the discriminatory provisions are an abuse of the Election Commission’s discretion under the law and a violation of the grant of equality under the Federal Constitution.
• To end discrimination against Malaysian citizens who are living or working outside Malaysia.
• To re-enfranchise Malaysian citizens overseas, and to re-engage them in charting the future course of Malaysia.
• To bring legal proceedings against the Election Commission challenging the discriminatory provisions in the 2002 Regulations.
• Sign up to our Facebook page ‘Malaysians Overseas – Right to Vote’ or follow our Twitter feed @MyOverseasVote
• Pledge a donation / get involved by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We are looking to raise RM200,000/£40,000 in order to fund our legal action.