Ck's Blog in Chinese

For chinese version, please visit blog at the link below:-

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

09-09-09@ 09:09:09am

for Mandarin version feel free to visit:

http://limchoonkiat.blogspot.com/2009/09/09-09-09-090909am.html

According to Chinese Almanac (老黄历) is a good date in doing many things, or so call auspicious day of the year. Therefore, I have decided to share recent progress about me.

  • Master degree at Glasgow University

I have completed the degree, and I am pleased to obtain a degree in distinction (feel free to click the image below, and enlarge it). As far as the department is concerned, I am the first student in Plant Science who obtained degree with distinction.

A good degree is a kick-start for me, to embark on a new career in Science.

  • PhD Research @ Exeter University
Ever wondered what am I doing now, one month after completed master degree at Glasgow University? Well, the picture below will give you some clues. After thinking thoroughly, I have decided to share it now, which is after 5 months. Hope it won’t be too late. More info will come out soon, stay tune to limchoonkiat-ck.blogspot.com . :-)


I was invited for a PhD studentship interview in Apr 09 at Exeter University, one of the top 10 unis (out of ~120) in the UK. About >150 paper applications received from international, UK/EU applicants. Roughly 10% was invited for first visit, then half selected for second interview + presentation (if I not mistaken). The University's strategic plan in investing systems biology is appealing and I am pleased with the opportunity offered to become part of their members. I promise will work hard and keen to face on the challenges and rewards of a PhD scholar at Exeter. Thank you. With great opportunity comes great responsibility. I will always remember my ultimate goal-->overcome famine and food insecurity issues.. Cheers


More info can visit the following public album@

picasa: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/cklim123my/Exeter?feat=directlink

facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=109046&id=757132962&l=dfa8975010

and http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=110728&id=757132962&l=8b9fe68bd4


I was “away” in last two weeks, and still now I am busy as a bee..haha, some tasks that have accomplished recently (in 2-weeks time) are such as:

  1. Packing, my uni hall contract end before i move to new uni, and I have promised my prof to carry some extra research, therefore I have to find a temporary accommodation for ~2 weeks before I move to new uni.
  2. Travel around Scotland, before I move to England, need time to plan journey, transport, lodging, etc
  3. Attended 2 viva (oral exam of master degree), overall 3 viva in one year.
  4. Just completed manuscript for previous undergrad thesis. Learn some new skills again, i.e. in publishing paper, learn how to identify journal, locate reviewer, edit in accordance to the house format..etc
  5. Return books borrow books, read books @-@
  6. Refresh, recapped and read some journals on PhD research
  7. International student welcome programme, greet&meet service
  8. Few dinners, gatherings
  9. Look through visa extension guideline, have to renew my visa later,
  10. Advance accommodation in new uni.
  11. Write/call to bank, card issue companies etc, about change of correspondence address.
  12. Mail redirection service at pos office, i.e. transfer all mails from Scotland to England for few months until i settle down, and update all info the senders
  13. Sent greetings,i.e. birthday card, postcard from Glasgow to home.
  14. Request some humble opinions from academic staff on feature articles I mentioned previously.
  15. Poster submission @ Graduate Junction
  16. PhD preliminary research—>data sampling
  17. Orientation, registration, enrol PhD workshop@ new uni.
  18. Hand over my duty as volunteer in international career service@ GU, and remove myself as co-author in the blog, so that new batch of volunteers can take over.
  19. Confirm lodging, transport matters to new uni
  20. Refined research proposal
  21. I just subscribed a new mobile plan, and it takes time to look for a good deal before that
  22. Review 2 manuscript before publish.

To sum up, I wish to express my deepest gratitude to all academic staff, friends and families, for their encouragement, guidance, etc. Your advice and motivation will serve as a constant reminder for me to achieve my goal and also overcome global famine issue. I hope basic human rights for food will reach to everyone eventually :-)

10 comments:

MsXeRoZ Nicole said...

WOW...You know what i think? I pray that good luck bestow you every moment. Not only 090909 0909.. =)

Well, First, Grats for going through all the things that you have done for the past 1 year. and Sorry for the mishaps that occured while you are there...

Second, this year Chinese New Year come back ma?

Third, if Scotland/England/UK/ anywhere else, you found a good place to live in. Stay there. Malaysia suckz..serious..*sigh*

Fourth, now Ringgit weakened d, if u have extra money, come belanja us..We, who stay in Malaysia are suffering from acute-no-moneycitis disease.

Finally, not gonna ask u to take care ady, coz i see u really took care of yourself. I will wish u..GOOD LUCK and LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST. Mwarckzzzz..

yeekai5 said...

waseh,another great post TUN...
been anticipate tis for long time,so number 9~ a specail number to u?purposely set it for 9999

scorpio character,hmmm,really unpredictable
so many can be done in 2 weeks time,*truely impress*

congra TUN,all the hardwork paid off,yet still remain humble and calm...

clear goal, read more, think more, dun terlalu berkira-kira, fleksible
(lim,2009)

cakap senang buat susah
but ck is diff, bcos tak kira cakap senang or susah, will still hamdam(lim,2009)

another new thing to learn from u TUN

1 year from now still progessing great,passionate,commited,etc....

a bit dissapointed,tak ada khabar khabar angin on ur puan sri in uk,
been anticiapting tis angin very long time bac,even rou zhing is suspecting something fishy happen to u there :P

Exeter,hmmm...much more nearer to bristol compare to glasgow.
nex time around nearer to redeem my dom dom..haha

do keep me inform ur address in Exeter,in case i terlanggar lampu merah,then can send u my red colour 'boom' invatation

so welcome back,time without you my google reader become less intersting..haha
do keep urself update,then i can learn from u more here..

gambateh ya
good luck for ur future undertake :)

wen ni said...

lol yeekai going to bristol? nice uni wor..

cklim said...

@ nicole-ya, undeniable, encouragements, motivations, supports from you guys drive me to success.

1st-->although facing many challenges, but i am pleased that i manage to cope all the challenges.

2nd-->still dunno whether or not come back on CNY, will share on blog then.

3rd-->i know the country need a lot of improvements, and i'm not a selfish guy that leave all my friends , families suffer there. so, no doubt, i will come back home eventually, regardless any good offer to me (my humble thought thus far). hope little effort can contribute to home,

4th-->i hope £ can grow stronger, hopefully to 7/8X...no worry, i promise will gv u angpau in pounds, provided i still stay in UK and earn £

last-->thanks, u too, take care youself, i believe we are proud to have a great course rep. like u..cheers

@ tan sri liang
as a scientist, doesn't mean i have to always make a decision based on scientific way :-p..so i think u get what i mean

yes, ck the typical scorpio, no doubt..so remember dun waste time dun guess my next step, when time come, i will reveal..haha

not bad, you really learnt good things from me, i am pleased to see you recall all the humble opinions from ck to you last month

haha, i am pure, and as u know, watever we do, sure got gain and loss, so no puan sri news..and i am doubt why rou zhing feel fishy leh?

no worry,,as promise will blog to keep u guys update,...look forward to meeting u @ bristol..ths is a great uni,

anticipating your red bomb, hope you wont marry to your hands...wakaka :-p

thanks...u too...all the best! :-p

@ wen ni

yes, bristol is a good uni, and heard that shi wei 's sis studies there, will be graduating this year

MsXeRoZ Nicole said...

meow..

MsXeRoZ Nicole said...

meow means...point well said.

Blur Pei said...

congratulations~~~~

Unknown said...

Hi, my name is Yong Kwan and like you i am a UTAR graduate as well. I studied Masters in Nottingham and graduated several months ago. Just wondering about your PhD studentship award. Do they cover all your fees and give you a stipend every year? Just curious because i am looking for a PhD studentship everywhere. Thanks.

cklim said...

@yong kwan: yes, i am fully funded scholar

Unknown said...

wow thats great at least you don't need to cover the difference between local and international fees...i was offered one but i have to pay the 7000 pounds difference a year. The stipend can cover it but i am left with 500 pounds a month :(

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin